* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.40 percent to 20,311.78
* Leading the index were Kirkland Lake Gold Ltd , up 6.4%, Sleep Country Canada Holdings Inc, up 5.5%, and Canfor Corp, higher by 5.5%.
* Lagging shares were Real Matters Inc, down 5.0%, BlackBerry Ltd, down 4.5%, and Tilray Inc, lower by 4.3%.
* On the TSX 156 issues rose and 74 fell as a 2.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were no and no new lows, with total volume of 163.1 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Suncor Energy Inc, Lundin Mining Corp and Kinross Gold Corp.
* The TSX's energy group rose 0.57 points, or 0.5%, while the financials sector climbed 2.45 points, or 0.7%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.41%, or $1.02, to $73.41 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.61%, or $1.2, to $75.94 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 16.5% for the year.
This summary was machine generated July 29 at 21:23.