Log in
E-mail
Password
Show password
Remember
Forgot password ?
Become a member for free
Sign up
Sign up
New member
Sign up for FREE
New customer
Discover our services
Settings
Settings
Dynamic quotes 
OFFON
News: Latest News
Latest NewsCompaniesMarketsEconomy & ForexCommoditiesInterest RatesBusiness LeadersFinance Pro.CalendarSectors 
All NewsEconomyCurrencies & ForexEconomic EventsCryptocurrenciesCybersecurityPress Releases

U.S. to open program to replace Huawei equipment in U.S. networks

09/27/2021 | 05:06pm EST
FILE PHOTO: A Huawei logo is seen at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Shanghai

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Monday said it would open a $1.9 billion program to reimburse mostly rural U.S. telecom carriers for removing network equipment made by Chinese companies deemed national security threats like Huawei and ZTE Corp.

The program, which was finalized in July, will open Oct. 29 for applications through Jan. 14, 2022.

Last year, the FCC designated Huawei and ZTE as national security threats to communications networks - a declaration that barred U.S. firms from tapping an $8.3 billion government fund to purchase equipment from the companies. The FCC in December adopted rules requiring carriers with ZTE or Huawei equipment to "rip and replace" that equipment.

The issue is a big one for rural carriers that face high costs and difficulty finding workers to remove and replace equipment.

The FCC's final order expanded the companies eligible for reimbursement from those with 2 million or fewer customers to those with 10 million or fewer customers.

The FCC in September 2020 estimated it would cost $1.837 billion to remove and replace Huawei and ZTE equipment from networks.

In June, the FCC voted to advance a plan to ban approvals for equipment in U.S. telecommunications networks from Chinese companies deemed national security threats like Huawei and ZTE. The FCC could also revoke prior equipment authorizations issued to Chinese companies. In March, the FCC designated five Chinese companies as posing a threat to national security under a 2019 law aimed at protecting U.S. communications networks.

The affected companies included the previously designated Huawei and ZTE, as well as Hytera Communications Corp, Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co and Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co.

In August 2020, the U.S. government barred federal agencies from buying goods or services from any of the five Chinese companies.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Steve Orlofsky)


© Reuters 2021
Latest news "Economy & Forex"
06:02aUK's Domino's Pizza says Vice Chairman Colin Halpern to step down next year
RE
06:01aNotable quotes from the Reuters Next conference
RE
06:01aPALESTINE MONETARY AUTHORITY : The PMA Business Cycle Index (PMABCI) –November 2021
PU
05:59aThai central bank says does not support digital assets as payments
RE
05:57aFacebook risks meta flop, metaverse developers say
RE
05:48aIndian shares close higher on robust economic data
RE
05:43aPound to Rise if BOE's Bailey Reacts to Higher Inflation Risks
DJ
05:39aSterling consolidates above 2021 lows as central bank eyed
RE
05:38aUK yields hit day's high after patchy demand in 10-year auction
RE
05:19aEU seeks to forge new global trade rules with U.S
RE
Latest news "Economy & Forex"