* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.69 percent to 20,644.64
* Leading the index were Endeavour Silver Corp , up 6.4%, OceanaGold Corp, up 6.4%, and First Quantum Minerals Ltd, higher by 5.7%.
* Lagging shares were Spin Master Corp, down 3.6%, Sleep Country Canada Holdings Inc, down 2.2%, and FirstService Corp, lower by 1.8%.
* On the TSX 162 issues rose and 66 fell as a 2.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 12 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 165.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Suncor Energy Inc, Great-west Lifeco Inc and Sun Life Financial Inc.
* The TSX's energy group rose 3.68 points, or 3.1%, while the financials sector slipped 0.86 points, or 0.2%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.85%, or $1.25, to $68.67 a barrel. Brent crude rose 2.22%, or $1.58, to $72.65 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 18.4% for the year.
This summary was machine generated August 27 at 21:08.