Log in
E-mail
Password
Show password
Remember
Forgot password ?
Become a member for free
Sign up
Sign up
New member
Sign up for FREE
New customer
Discover our services
Settings
Settings
Dynamic quotes 
OFFON
News: Latest News
Latest NewsCompaniesMarketsEconomy & ForexCommoditiesInterest RatesBusiness LeadersFinance Pro.CalendarSectors 
All NewsEconomyCurrencies & ForexEconomic EventsCryptocurrenciesCybersecurityPress Releases

Australia says it was 'upfront' with France over submarine deal as crisis continues

09/18/2021 | 11:30pm EDT

MELBOURNE, Sept 19 (Reuters) - Australia was "upfront, open and honest" with France about its concerns over a deal for French submarines, its defence minister said on Sunday, as a new deal with the United States and Britain continued to fuel a multinational diplomatic crisis.

Australia ditched the 2016 deal with France's Naval Group to build a fleet of conventional submarines, announcing on Thursday a plan to build at least eight nuclear-powered ones with U.S. and British technology in a trilateral security partnership.

The move infuriated France, a NATO ally of the United States and Britain, prompting it to recall its ambassadors https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australian-pm-says-he-made-clear-france-possibility-scrapping-submarine-deal-2021-09-17 from Washington and Canberra, and riled China https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australia-get-us-nuclear-submarine-technology-china-looms-large-2021-09-15, the major rising power in the Indo-Pacific region.

The deal has put Washington in an unprecedented diplomatic crisis with France that analysts say could do lasting damage to the U.S. alliance with France and Europe, throwing also throws into doubt the united front https://www.reuters.com/world/french-break-up-blow-bidens-china-focused-alliance-rebuilding-2021-09-18 that the Biden administration has been seeking to forge against China's growing power.

Paris has called the cancellation a stab in the back https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/australia-made-huge-mistake-cancelling-submarine-deal-says-french-ambassador-2021-09-18, with Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian saying relations with the United States and Australia were in a "crisis".

But Defence Minister Peter Dutton said on Sunday that Australia had been raising concerns with France over the order - valued at $40 billion in 2016 and reckoned to cost much more today - for a couple of years.

"Suggestions that the concerns hadn't been flagged by the Australian government, just defy, frankly, what's on the public record and certainly what they've said publicly over a long period of time," Dutton told Sky News.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Friday he had expressed "very significant concerns" about the deal to French President Emmanuel Macron in June and made clear Australia "would need to make a decision on in our national interest".

Finance Minister Simon Birmingham said Australia had informed France of the deal but acknowledged on Sunday the negotiations had been secret, given the "enormous sensitivities".

Dutton and Birmingham declined to reveal costs of the new pact, although Dutton said "it's not going to be a cheap project".

(Reporting by Lidia Kelly; Editing by William Mallard)


ę Reuters 2021
Latest news "Economy & Forex"
02:14aINFLATION GENIE OUT OF THE BOTTLE : Five questions for the ECB
RE
02:09aShipping drifts off net-zero course without carbon levy -study
RE
02:07aAsian shares firm, dollar weak as traders eye earnings
RE
02:06aAustralia's cabinet to review deal on net zero emissions target -sources
RE
02:05aBOK sees inflationary risks growing; Oct CPI may rise more than 3%
RE
02:00aBASF : ECB urged to tighten trading rules for policymakers
RE
02:00aCLIMATE CHANGE : what are the economic stakes?
RE
01:59aKT : Police investigate network outage at South Korean telco KT
RE
01:54aDollar at one-month trough as traders see global rates rising
RE
01:50aWith corporate tax off table, U.S. Democrats turn to billionaires to fund spending bill
RE
Latest news "Economy & Forex"