SGS is the world leader in verification, control and certification services. Net sales break down by sector of activity as follows:
- oil, gas and chemical products (16.3%): additive insertion, measurement equipment calibration, supply of automatic sampling equipment, dock management, etc.;
- agriculture and food industry (16.3%): inspection of food, fiber, and grain cleanliness, quality control, fluid analysis, etc.;
- consumer goods (15.5%): analysis and control of consumer goods, management code audits, etc.;
- industries (14.1%): certification of food-processing materials and equipment, perfumes and cosmetics, textiles, etc.;
- mines (11.4%): analysis and inspection of diamonds, construction materials, energy-related minerals, fertilizers, etc.;
- transportation (8.2%): production quality control, supply chain monitoring, etc.;
- environment (7.6%): measurement of respiratory risks, certification of acoustic levels, water sampling and analysis, emission control, etc.;
- government and institutions services (3.9%);
- other (6.7%).
At the end of 2019, the group had a network of more than 2,600 offices and laboratories worldwide.
Net sales are distributed geographically as follows: Europe/Africa/Middle East (43.8%), Asia/Pacific (32.2%) and the Americas (24%).